So What is IIS? It is the abbreviation for Internet Information Services. IIS is a file and Web application server that can be used on a local area network (LAN), a wide area network (WAN), or the Internet. IIS can be installed on Windows Server 2008/R2, Windows Server 2012/R2 server; scaled down versions are available for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
To make things simple. when you a finish developing a website and you want to publish it online, you need to host in on a public server to be accessible online from anywhere.
So simply IIS allows you to host your websites (basically asp.net websites) on your server.
IIS can be installed on both server and client versions of windows.
Installing on Windows 10:
Just open control panel > Add remove programs > Turn windows features on or off > select internet information services and click install as shown in the following image.
Installing on Windows 2012:
- Open Server Manager and click Manage > Add Roles and Features.
- Select Role-based or feature-based installation and click Next.
- Select the appropriate server. The local server is selected by default.
- Enable Web Server (IIS) and click Next.
- On the Web Server Role (IIS) dialog box, click Next.
- On the Select role services dialog box, verify that the web server components listed below are enabled. Click Next.
- Verify that your settings are correct and click Install.
- When the installation completes, click Close to exit the wizard.
The Web platform installer tool.
The Microsoft Web Platform Installer is a free tool that makes it simple to download, install and keep up-to-date with the latest components of the Microsoft Web Platform, including Internet Information Services (IIS), SQL Server Express, .NET Framework and Visual Studio. Web PI also makes it easy to install and run the most popular free web applications for blogging, content management and more with the built-in Windows Web Application Gallery.
I Highly recommend you to install web platform installer since it really facilitates your work and save you time when managing IIS especially when you want to enable and install certain features like URL Rewrite or installing WordPress and so on.
Create And host your first website.
Open IIS manager, you can run inetmgr command from the run command line or just search for IIS in your search bar you find it.
If you are using windows server you can also open IIs manager from server manager in the tools list.
When opened click on sites then click New website on the right or right click and click new website.
Enter site name, the physical directory of your website and the hostname you want to access your website with.
Note: if you are working with IIS locally on your pc or lab and you want to access your website with a custom domain name like www.yourSitename.com then you have to map your website domain name to the local IP address in your computer (127.0.0.1) and block it publicly,
To do that follow these steps:
- Open notepad as administrator privilege.
- Click file > open > and navigate to “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc”
- You will find nothing, just select all file types in the browse dialog, you will find a file called hosts
- Add this record :
Save the file.
Now You will access your website with your own domain name.
Check this small list of videos it may help you.
These videos are taken from My course “Mastering IIS 8.5 ” If you are interested check this 95% discount coupon on Udemy to enroll in my course: